VSTS Sync Migration Tools Docs
VSTS Sync Migration Tools allow you to bulk edit data in Microsoft Team Foundation Server (TFS) and Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS). It has many names depending on what you are trying to achieve. You might call it a migration tool, or a bulk update tool, and both are correct.
Getting the Tools
There are three ways to use these tools:
These tools are build by naked Agility Limited's DevOps & Agility consultants to do real world migrations on a daily basis. We always work in Visual Studio Team Services and sync the code to GitHub for visibility. We use Work Item Tracking and a Git Repository inside of TFS to manage the work and Team Build to create our package output. We then have a Release Pipeline in Release Management to publish a GitHub Release and, if successful, automatically deploy a new version to NuGet and to Chocolatey.
Watch the Video Overview to get you started in 30 minutes. This tool is complicated and its not always easy to discover what you need to do.
- Bulk Update - You can bulk update work items and apply processing rules against your server or account. Use the
WorkItemUpdateclass that takes only a target Team Project. The team does a lot of Process Template migrations and we need these tools to fix the data after the migration.
- Migration - You can migrate work items, area & iterations, & test data from one Team Project to another. Use the
WorkItemMigrationContextclass that takes both a Source and a Target Team Project
By default, when you are moving from source to target the system will map all of the fields that exist in source to the same field in the target. This is the behaviour if the FieldMaps section is not present in the configuration file.
However sometimes you want to move data to another field, or use a regex to parse out just the bits that you want. To help we have built a number of mapping tools that should give you the versatility you need.
- FieldtoFieldMap - Just want to map one field to another? This is the one for you.
- FieldMergeMap - Ever wanted to merge two fields? This mapping will let you do just that.
- FieldBlankMap - Allows you to set an already populated field to empty
- FieldtoTagMap - Want to take a field and convert its value to a tag? Done...
- FieldValueMap - Need to map not just the field but also values? This is the default value mapper.
- FieldValuetoTagMap - Need to create a Tag based on a field value? Just create a regex match and choose how to populate the target.
- RegexFieldMap - I just need that bit of a field... need to send "2016.2" to two fields, one for year and one for release? Done.
- TreeToTagMap - Need to clear out those nasty Area tree hierarchies? This creates Tags for each node in the Area Path...
There are other processors that can be used to migrate, or process, different sorts of data in different ways. Which one is right for you depends on the situation at hand.
- WorkItemUpdate - Need to just update work items in place, use this and only set the Target. All field mappings work...
- WorkItemDelete - Woops... Can I just start again? Feed this a query and watch those items vanish WARNING
Most of these processors need to be run in order. If you try to migrate work items before you have migrated Area and Iterations then bang you need to go back.
Note: WorkItemMigrationContext and WorkItemRevisionReplayMigrationContext are exclusive, you can only run either of the options, but not both!
- NodeStructuresMigrationContext - Moves over the structure of area and iteration paths, you have the option to inject a new root node by setting the
- WorkItemMigrationContext - The work horse... push the tip from one location to another while maintaining context. Make sure that you add a ReflectedWorkItemID and you can restart the service at any time...
- WorkItemRevisionReplayMigrationContext - The second work horse... push all revisions of work items from one location to another while maintaining context. Make sure that you add a ReflectedWorkItemID and you can restart the service at any time. This context will move replay all the revisions of work items in the source system in the exact same order on the target system, thus resulting in the very same history and state graph on the target system.
- AttachementExportMigrationContext - Exports all work items attachments to the migration machine. This is used in partnership with the AttachmentImportMigrationContext
- AttachementImportMigrationContext - Imports all work items attachments from the migration machine. This is used in partnership with the AttachementExportMigrationContext
- LinkMigrationContext - Migrates all the work item links, both between work items and external links.
- WorkItemQueryMigrationContext - Migrate all shared work item queries
Test Plans & Suites
- TestVeriablesMigrationContext - Migrates test variables
- TestConfigurationsMigrationContext - Migrate test configurations
- TestPlansAndSuitsMigrationContext - Migrate test plans and suites, this does assume that the actual test cases and shared steps are migrated using the WorkItemMigrationContext
- TestRunsMigrationContext [BETA] - Migrates past test run results
The following misc processors do as their names suggest
- FixGitCommitLinks - Allows you to fix the migrated Git commit hooks (and thus external links) to point to the new repository in the target project. If the source and target repository names are the same, this will work out of the box. If the target repository has a different name, you can specify that name via the "TargetRepository" property.
If you wish to contribute then feel free to fork this repository and submit a pull request. If you would like to join the team please contact.
This project is primarily managed and maintained on Visual Studio Team Services and code checked into MASTER is automatically synched between VSTS and GitHub. There is no hidden published code, but not all branches are published.
If you want to sync your GitHub repository then check out Open-source with VSTS or TFS and Github for better DevOps .
Check out the FAQ pages
naked Agility Limited creates and maintains the "Visual Studio Team Services Bulk Data Editor Engine" project under its terms of business and allows full access to the source code for customers and the general public.